|Job Title||Installer Helper - Tile, Flooring, Cabinets*|
|Location||Oxnard, CA, CA*||*Position is based out of Oxnard, CA (93030)|
The primary responsibility of an Apprentice Slab Installer is to assist in the installation of slab counters and walls with the intent of reaching a journeyman level. An apprentice installer will with experience, gain the knowledge required to become a Journeyman Slab Installer. During the apprenticeship period, the apprentice will be expected to gain the knowledge and skillsets required to fabricate and install all types of natural and engineered stone according to the MIA (Marble Institute of America) standards. Familiarity with TCNA (Tile Council of America) standards is also necessary to properly prepare varying substrates.
- Responsible to learn how to properly prepare substrates to meet all industry specifications in which slabs are to be installed. These areas typically include countertops and walls.
- Gain the ability to properly fabricate and make adjustments in the field. This includes cutting, drilling, gluing, and polishing. Also included is the ability to install all types of undermount sinks.
- Learn to install slab counters and walls flat, level, and true to a plane with minimal lippage at the seams as set forth by the MIA
- Responsible to use color matching caulk at all changes in plane such as horizontal to vertical and inside corners to walls.
- Responsible for self inspecting all work upon completion to ensure all quality expectations have been met. When required, finished work will be signed off and accepted by the builder.
- Responsible for building and maintaining interpersonal relationships with coworkers and builder
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read and understand work orders, blue prints, and correlate with diagrams showing designs using varying types of tile and stone. All work instructions are to be verified to match provided diagrams, and any discrepancies are to be resolved before installation begins.
- Gain a complete product knowledge and understanding of the appropriate use with different types of adhesives, mortars used to install slab counters and walls.
- Must be able to work in and adjust to varying jobsite conditions typical in new home and commercial construction
- Ability to do mathematical calculations to estimate quantities, provide takeoffs when needed, and the ability to determine time, resources, or materials needed to perform a work activity to a timely completion.
- Ability to communicate effectively and in an appropriate manner in writing and verbally.
- Ability to receive and follow instructions provided by builder representatives and immediate RDS Field Supervisor
- Shop Production Manager
- General Superintendent
- VP Operations Counters & Walls Southern California
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Preferred combined experience of 5 years as an apprentice and journeyman installer.
- Ability to work professionally and independently with a demonstrated capability to work in a team environment
- English, Bilingual preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Arm-Hand Steadiness -- The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position
- Trunk Strength -- The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing
- Manual Dexterity -- The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects
- Extent Flexibility -- The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs
- Static Strength -- The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects
- Dynamic Strength -- The ability to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue
- Handling and Moving Objects -- Using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving materials, and manipulating things
- Job duties will be performed primarily at the job site which may be either residential or commercial
- Requires employee to be outdoors on a regular basis
- Will encounter varying weather conditions and temperatures
- Noise level usually high
- Full time with some overtime
- Will be required to travel to multiple jobsites on a regular and ongoing basis
- Must have a valid drivers license and insurance that meets the companies requirements at all times